We used to have a crazy desk. It was to big, too cluttered, and just didn’t fit in the small space we had to put it in.
Ok, this isn’t really our desk, but I forgot to take before photos, so this give you an idea.
So we decided to buy new bedroom furniture, since we have never bought any in the 12 years we have been married, and our bedroom was a collection of hand-me-downs, but I had thrown a bed together a long time ago, so when we replaced this old bed:
With this new one:
Note the old desk in the background…
I took the old bed and built a desk:
And now I am sitting at the new desk, writing this post.
Since I had a 4 day weekend over New Years, and an entertainment unit design in my head, and a new Festool track saw I really wanted to play with, I decided it was time to finally get our living room looking a bit cleaner. I picked up 4 sheets of ply, four 1X4’s, six 1X2’s, 9 feet of lath and 9 feet of bed mold, plus a few accessories, shelf pins, grommets, wire ties and wire staples, ect…for about $300.
I built out the carcass with my total inside width measuring 6 inches larger than my TV to accommodate the trim and leave a nice reveal once the tv was pushed in from the back. I trimmed the whole unit in the same style we used when we replaced the trim on our windows and doors during the dining room makeover.
On the upper and lower shelves I added an additional panel to make the inside of the cabinets flush to keep a cleaner straight line look. I drilled hols in the bottom shelving area to allow for shelving adjustments, drilled grommets for wires, and installed a split flex tube from top to bottom for a place to neatly run all the wires.
After getting it all built, I used a Graco HVLP Sprayer to apply the paint, lightly sanding between coats with a block sander and 220 grit paper.
I think it turned out pretty nice. Here are a couple before and after shots so you can decide for yourself.
Although I believe that there isn’t much I’m not able to do with some wood and a few tools, I have no clue when it comes to landscaping. I don’t know what plants should go where. I have no idea what plants will look good together. I don’t have a clue about when to plant them, how to prune them, or what sizes and varieties are best for the areas I need to spruce up. So, because I am landscape challenged, we hired a Landscape architect to draw up some plans and give us an idea of what we could do to improve the curb appeal of our home.
For less than $200, we got this awesome blueprint we will use to slowly add to and change the landscaping around our house. While the manual labor will not be fun, spending the money for a pro to do our design will be well worth it. Now we can be confident that we will have the plants in the right place for a great new look.